I chose 2 numbers at random and each number went with a random year. The years I ended up with were 1940 and 1965. Obvioulsy I know about the World War Events of the 40’s and all the mini skirt and rock and roll trend in the 60’s, and don’t want to go down this road, so to begin I will look at the less obvious styles, trends, big names and events of both years.
Cost of Living 1965
How Much things cost in 1965?
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 1.59%
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 5.0%
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 969
Average Cost of new house $13,600.00
Average Income per year $6,450.00
Gas per Gallon 31 cents
Average Cost of a new car $2,650.00
Loaf of bread 21 cents
Average Rent per month $118,00
Average House Price 3,660
Gallon of Petrol 5 shillings or 26 new pence
E-type Jaguar 1867
- Australia Joins Vietnam War
- Hindi becomes the official language of India.
- Racing driver Jim Clark wins the Indianapolis 500, and later wins the Formula One world driving championship in the same year.
- Lyndon B. Johnson announces increase the number of United States troops in South Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000
- Hurricane Betsy makes landfall in the Bahamas, Florida and Louisiana causing $1 billion dollars worth of Damage
- Pope Paul VI becomes the first Pope to visit the United States
- Following the UK Continental Shelf Act ( 1964 ) The BP’s Sea Gem rig finds gas in the West Sole field , the first major oil find did not occur until 1970 with the discovery of the Forties oil field
- The Maple leaf becomes Canada’s new national flag symbol
- Rhodesia Declares Unilateral Independence From Great Britain and becomes Zimbabwe
- India and Pakistan Fighting continues to escalate
- Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs escapes from Wandsworth Prison and flees to Brazil.
- Malcolm X shot in New York
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. leads civil rights march in Alabama from Selma to Montgomery
- Britain brings in a new Race Relations Act hoping to stop some of the unrest in inner cities
- Cigarette advertising banned on Television in Britain
- The Post Office Tower opens in London
- 70 mph speed limit imposed on British roads
- Higher Education Act of 1965 is signed into law providing low-interest loans for students in higher education.
- US Citizens Evacuated due to Civil War in Dominican Republic
- Following attempted coup by communists in Indonesia lead to the murder of over half million people and a transition to the new order led by Major General Suharto.
- Operation Rolling Thunder Launched In Vietnam
- Warren Buffet Gains controlling interest in Berkshire-Hathaway 1965 ( $18.00 per share ) in 2008 ( $150,000 per share )
- Troopers violently confront civil rights marchers in Alabama
- US begins airlift of Cubans wishing to leave Cuba and live in America
- Ranger 8 crashes into the Moon after a successful mission of photographing possible landing sites for the Apollo program
- Ranger 9 sends back live TV broadcast when it crashes on to the moon
- Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space
- Major Edward H. White II becomes the second human to walk in space during the flight of Gemini 4
- Inventions Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
- Russia Aleksei Leonov – first person outside space vehicle
- USA by James Russell – now Compact Disk
- USA for linking text on the Internet
- ( replacement for the Iron Lung ) USA
- The Mary Quant designed Mini Skirt appears in London and will be the fashion statement of the 60’s
- One of most popular films “Sound of Music” released
- The Beatles Release The Movie and Album Help!
- The Beatles Play Live Concert Shea Stadium
- The Grateful Dead with Lead guitarist Jerry Garcia play their first concert, in San Francisco
- Mary Poppins
- The Sound of Music
- My Fair Lady
- What’s New Pussycat?
- Cat Ballou
- The Man with the Golden Gun
Born This Year 1965
Ty Pennington This Day In History October 19th
Ben Stiller This Day In History November 30th
Sarah Jessica Parker This Day In History March 25th
J K Rowling This Day In History July 31st
1965 for sale ad’s