Some striking typographic images from the Penrose Annual 1965, from the articles “Fashion in Typography” written by Nicolete Gray, and “Poster Design as a newspaper image builder” by Karl Dallas…
I chose 2 numbers at random and each number went with a random year. The years I ended up with were 1940 and 1965. Obvioulsy I know about the World War Events of the 40’s and all the mini skirt and rock and roll trend in the 60’s, and don’t want to go down this road, so to begin I will look at the less obvious styles, trends, big names and events of both years.
Cost of Living 1965
How Much things cost in 1965?
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 1.59%
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 5.0%
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 969
Average Cost of new house $13,600.00
Average Income per year $6,450.00
Gas per Gallon 31 cents
Average Cost of a new car $2,650.00
Loaf of bread 21 cents
Average Rent per month $118,00
Average House Price 3,660
Gallon of Petrol 5 shillings or 26 new pence
E-type Jaguar 1867
- Australia Joins Vietnam War
- Hindi becomes the official language of India.
- Racing driver Jim Clark wins the Indianapolis 500, and later wins the Formula One world driving championship in the same year.
- Lyndon B. Johnson announces increase the number of United States troops in South Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000
- Hurricane Betsy makes landfall in the Bahamas, Florida and Louisiana causing $1 billion dollars worth of Damage
- Pope Paul VI becomes the first Pope to visit the United States
- Following the UK Continental Shelf Act ( 1964 ) The BP’s Sea Gem rig finds gas in the West Sole field , the first major oil find did not occur until 1970 with the discovery of the Forties oil field
- The Maple leaf becomes Canada’s new national flag symbol
- Rhodesia Declares Unilateral Independence From Great Britain and becomes Zimbabwe
- India and Pakistan Fighting continues to escalate
- Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs escapes from Wandsworth Prison and flees to Brazil.
- Malcolm X shot in New York
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. leads civil rights march in Alabama from Selma to Montgomery
- Britain brings in a new Race Relations Act hoping to stop some of the unrest in inner cities
- Cigarette advertising banned on Television in Britain
- The Post Office Tower opens in London
- 70 mph speed limit imposed on British roads
- Higher Education Act of 1965 is signed into law providing low-interest loans for students in higher education.
- US Citizens Evacuated due to Civil War in Dominican Republic
- Following attempted coup by communists in Indonesia lead to the murder of over half million people and a transition to the new order led by Major General Suharto.
- Operation Rolling Thunder Launched In Vietnam
- Warren Buffet Gains controlling interest in Berkshire-Hathaway 1965 ( $18.00 per share ) in 2008 ( $150,000 per share )
- Troopers violently confront civil rights marchers in Alabama
- US begins airlift of Cubans wishing to leave Cuba and live in America
- Ranger 8 crashes into the Moon after a successful mission of photographing possible landing sites for the Apollo program
- Ranger 9 sends back live TV broadcast when it crashes on to the moon
- Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space
- Major Edward H. White II becomes the second human to walk in space during the flight of Gemini 4
- Inventions Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
- Russia Aleksei Leonov – first person outside space vehicle
- USA by James Russell – now Compact Disk
- USA for linking text on the Internet
- ( replacement for the Iron Lung ) USA
- The Mary Quant designed Mini Skirt appears in London and will be the fashion statement of the 60’s
- One of most popular films “Sound of Music” released
- The Beatles Release The Movie and Album Help!
- The Beatles Play Live Concert Shea Stadium
- The Grateful Dead with Lead guitarist Jerry Garcia play their first concert, in San Francisco
- Mary Poppins
- The Sound of Music
- My Fair Lady
- What’s New Pussycat?
- Cat Ballou
- The Man with the Golden Gun
Born This Year 1965
Ty Pennington This Day In History October 19th
Ben Stiller This Day In History November 30th
Sarah Jessica Parker This Day In History March 25th
J K Rowling This Day In History July 31st
1965 for sale ad’s
When I first received the dissertation preparation brief, I was unsure of how to begin, and what exactly it was asking for. However, I began jotting down areas within graphic design and advertising, that interested me the most. I decided that I wanted to choose areas that interested me a lot, because writing a full dissertation on something I would usually turn my back on, would be incredibly boring and pointless.
My first question I came up with was on buying habits of customers within graphic design. I came up with this one because it’s something that always gets my brain thinking, and wanting to know more about. Within this question, smaller questions could come from it as well, which I thought would be interesting, rather than looking into just one question throughout, but
would give me a lot more scope.
My second question I decided on was the branding side of advertising and design. This question is very similar to the previous question, because again, my mind was struggling for ideas, but this is a subject matter that gets my brain working hard. I liked the idea of looking deeper into the branding process and looking back to previous decades to see how the development
and processes/procedures have changed within this design field. By including advertising within this question, this gives me
another route to look down relating the question to another area within graphic design, as well as the basic.
I have struggled a lot with this dissertation preparation, but I have been given a real eye-opener of what to expect from the
dissertation module, such as the writing side, including, referencing and reading, aswell as how to write a graphic design dissertation.
Overall, I am pleased with the questions I have come up with. With other module deadlines, working on this one has been
maybe the shortest, but definitely the most difficult of all. This module has been really beneficial and I have learned that I must choose a dissertation question of high interest, because if I were to pick a question on which I would usually turn my back on, there would be no point in carrying out the question because it would be boring and wouldn’t keep me interested and motivated, but choosing a question of high interest would keep me interested and addicted to looking for updates on the subject matter. The questions I have come up with, may not necessarily be the ones I take ahead with my final dissertation, but now I will be constantly looking for more ideas and areas to go ahead with, for future references.